Intelligent Communications problem solving.
We decode consumer culture, so you don’t have to.
Your springboard to more inspiring creative briefs.
Culture and brands 24 /7. We’re always decoding.
We review brand imagery, making the invisible visible.
Semiotics - your brand meaning operating system.
HOW TO DO SEMIOTICS IN SEVEN WEEKS
If you are reading this, you are interested in semiotics because you want to use it more or are just fascinated by it. However, most people struggle to find the right resources to continue their learning journey. Most books on semiotics veer between the unintelligible and the trivial. Most courses are superficial and give you a glimpse but leave you unable to actually DO any semiotics. I have conducted 25 informational interviews and I infer that you want a course that is more accessible, practical and focused on the process.
How to Do Semiotics in Seven Weeks is a course for communication professionals working with and around brands who want to gain proficiency in semiotics. You might be coming to it as a complete ‘newbie’ for the first time or you might just want to consolidate your knowledge to help in your practise. Either way this newly developed course is for you. Last year in October I trialled the course and got proof of concept in a successful pilot How to Do Semiotics in Six Weeks which I ran for 12 participants in October and November. Okay, so the title has changed a little, because the pilot enabled me to iron out all the glitches and I decided to add a week, but basically this is an enhanced version of that successful course. And I’ve refined the course so that you only get an optimised learning experience.
1. LESSON ONE - WHAT IS BRAND SEMIOTICS?
• Making the invisible visible, decoding culture, matrix of meaning
• Academic history, applied semiotics as interdisciplinary perspective
• Live decoding of images, hacks for peeling away layers of meaning
2. LESSON TWO - BRANDS AS BUNDLES OF SIGNS
• Brands starting as marks and becoming semiotic marketing systems
• Different types of signs within the branding, consumer culture world
• How to conduct a brand audit - analysing various aspects of brands
3. LESSON THREE - IDENTIFYING THE CODES
• What is a code? codes as systems of signs that hang together
• How to detect codes through pattern recognition and cue validity
• Taxonomies that are mutually exclusive, collectively exhaustive
4. LESSON FOUR - PLOTTING YOUR CODE MAP
• Differentiation and binary oppositions as a structuring logic
• Establishing the axes and to create a map and the quadrants
• Semantic differential, spatial metaphor and mapping entities
5. LESSON FIVE – DECODING CULTURAL CHANGE
• Definitions of culture as interlocking codes, brands interwoven
• Case studies which involve ideological versus bottom up analyses
• Looking at residual, dominant and emergent codes in culture
6. LESSON SIX - BEST PRACTICE & FUTURE OF SEMIOTICS
• Semiotic applications, brand case studies from Creative Semiotics
• Best practice: pitfalls, what constitutes quality and proficiency etc
• Working with other methodologies future of semiotics as discipline
7. LESSON SEVEN - FEEDBACK / TROUBLESHOOTING
• Feedback on all the group presentations from the sub groups
• Presentation of a case example process of creating code map
• Critical evaluation and mutual feedback on presentations Q&A
• A seven week course that can be fit around work and professional commitments (i.e. you don’t need to put your life on hold or move country to do a degree to get the learning!)
• Learning is multifaceted: by way of weekly recorded lectures, interactive seminars, readings, live decodings, Slack thread discussions, Zoom polls, group exercises, anecdotes, Q&A sessions + by way of individual tutorials
• This is not a ‘survey course’ on nice but useless things you might want to know about semiotics. I try and get rid of the unnecessary information. This is a ‘process course’ equipping you with what you need to do to do it
• The learning outcome is for every participant to attain a basic proficiency in ‘doing semiotics of brands’, by creating a ‘code map’ through following a step by step process within the Seven Week period
• Gives all participants a workable overview of applied semiotics, including a glossary of terms and the tools you need to do semiotics which you cannot get from books or taster courses
• Gives all participants more confidence and rigour and a tried and tested process in actually doing a semiotic analysis, producing useful findings for your client and better seeing how semiotics adds value
• Gain the benefit of the distillation of almost 20 years’ experience of doing and writing about semiotics I both the commercial and the academic world – and be exposed to material from Chris’s forthcoming book
• The learning and fun is not just in working together towards the group task, all participants will enjoy sessions decoding images together, exchanging ideas and networking with others
"My experience with the course was very positive and it lived up to my expectations of an accessible, quality thorough piece of semiotics that I can apply to my everyday job as a qualitative researcher. It gave me a better grasp of what semiotics is and can do."
"I very much enjoyed this course studying with Chris. The studies were always very rich learnings and findings on semiotics. For me it has me pushed again to do more from my side, to learn more and to read more semiotics – I studied semiotics many years ago and now I’m really much more into the topic and with a renewed enthusiasm to read and to be into the topic again."
My pledge with this course is to feed the passion and enthusiasm of the learner with content that is topical, relevant and interesting and a method that is streamlined and effective. I am so confident of the course content that I can guarantee you will increase proficiency in semiotics. And I have priced this to reflect value in the course. If not - your money back!
COURSE PRICE: £797 + VAT
For more information please mail: